Sunday, May 29, 2011

20mm Gauls and Numidians. Shelved.

I've already started working on the 28mm version of my Carthaginian army, but before I send my 20mm version into either storage or eBay, I thought I'd post some pics.  I managed to get them onto 60x30mm DBA style bases, but I was holding off on finishing the bases until the whole army was finished.


GAULS




NUMIDIAN SKIRMISHERS







ILLYRIAN SKIRMISHERS


 I managed to paint up roughly 30 Gauls, 16 Nunidian skirmishers, and 4 Illyrians for the Carthaginians. If you take a look at the close up of the Gauls you'll notice I was attempting to paint pupils on them. I had a real sanity check at that moment, ("Why am I painting PUPILS on a GAME PIECE!"), and since then I've been trying to check my inclination to detail the minis in favor of a faster wargame standard paint job. 

I mean seriously... pupils?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that this comment will ever be seen as a result of you moving on from 20 mm and the date of the post which I believe is close to a decade ago. These figure are excellent. It seems a shame that this obsession with 28mm has overtaken the now much maligned 1.72 scale figure. I hope you did shelve and not sell, I believe you would have regretted such a move as many of my wargaming mates have lamented the loss of their 20mm armies.

    Pupils, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that this comment will ever be seen as a result of you moving on from 20 mm and the date of the post which I believe is close to a decade ago. These figures are excellent. It seems a shame that this obsession with 28mm has overtaken the now much maligned 1.72 scale figure. I hope you did shelve and not sell, I believe you would have regretted such a move as many of my wargaming mates have lamented the loss of their 20mm armies.

    Pupils, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this post from deepest antiquity! I did not sell these figures, but moved on to recreating the army in 28mm. I managed to get enough painted in 28mm to fight some battles, but those armies are also incomplete.

      Who knows, perhaps in another 10 years I'll have a third Carthaginian army in 15mm!

      Delete
    2. 15mm why not! So glad you replied, I have been a fan of your work for some time. Your tutorial on creating rough ground was inspirational and helped me to create some epic 20mm terrain pieces (for In Death Ground rules).

      I have seen your 28mm Carthaginians, very nice. North Star figures I believe.

      Delete